Friday, August 24, 2012

The Witch's Way: Homesteading with a Pagan Flair


 Just started this tonight! Here you will find hints and tips, what we are doing at The Witch's Way, a little Magick here and there, and really whatever stikes my fancy at the time.
 Tonight I want to talk about the difference in homesteading and prepping. It may seem like a fine line but really it's not, I homestead/farm I do not prep. I am not hoarding tons of food in my closets and under beds, I am not saying the zombies WILL attack anytime and we must be ready. So here's what I am saying: Wouldnt it be fantastic to walk to the pantry and have some sweet wonderful tomatoes from this summers garden in the dead of winter, shouldn't we be aware of what our children are eating and shouldn't what they are eating be good for them, have little to no "mileage" on it, shouldn't we be able to not only spell what is in our foods but know exactly what the ingrediants are, and lastly for us meat eaters shouldn't that animal have lived a grand life for after all they have given it so that we may eat.
 Preppers are all about gloom and doom and what if"s, they will tell you to stockpile ramen noodles and spegetti oh's because they have long self lives and can be cooked easily. Preppers it seems have taken over the internet and TV's with their stories of spending thousands of dollars to be ready for when TSHTF(the shit hits the fan I added that because I really had to think on it, lol). I am not saying they are wrong because if it helps them get through the day then more power to them. I on the other hand can not imagine a world for myself or children that is all about fear and worry. Wondering if the world will end whenever so lets stock up on the most unhealthy foods we can get our hands on because think of all the extra calories in that innocent pack of soup, not for me and I hope not for you either.
 My goal is to end each blog with a hint or tip, a goal to complete before the next time, and a recipe. Today's tip is: use baking soda and cinnamon to freshen your carpets, the baking soda gets rid of the smells and the cinnamon not only smells good but also encourages money flow and love. The goal is to look at one food you love and think about how you can grow it or make it yourself. You will be suprised at how easy things really are to make homemade. Today recipe is:
Basic Muffin Mix:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar or stevia if you wish
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 egg or 2 egg whites
3/4 to 1 cup of milk to get the cosistancy you would like but it should be pretty thick
1/3 cup of oil or drained applesauce to keep the fat down
Mix it all together.
After you get this far you can add whatever you want chocolate chips, blueberries, coapple chunks and cinnamon the options are limitless!
Use cupcake liners or you can butter or use non stick spray the cupcake tin
fill the cups about 3/4ths of the way and bake for around 15 to 18 mins depends on your oven. They come out really yummy!!!

 

4 comments:

  1. I think you did a awesome job and can't wait to see what you write next!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome :) I will have to try the muffin recipe as soon as I figure out a good substitute for eggs lol. I hope the future brings tips on gardening cuz my thumbs r not green! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stormy! Thank you for your kind words. I had to look up an egg subtitute and found that you can use 1/4 cup whipped silken tofu for each egg. The tofu will make them more dense but they will also be moist. I haven't tried it, if you do let me know the results,please. I will be talking gardening very very soon!!

      Delete