Friday, January 11, 2013

My Thoughts on Gun Control

It seems that a lot of my friends are torn on the ideas of gun control some being for it and others against, I don't wish to debate this issue or say one is right or the other wrong simply say my peace and move on.
  Growing up my house was always filled with various items that could kill, wound, or otherwise make your day go very very bad, these items ranged from my baton to knives, bows, and guns. Most of the year they were locked away except for one gun in my parents bedroom right behind the door.
  During hunting season it was a different story... there were guns everywhere. In the kitchen beside the door, in the living room by the couch, by the front door, in the truck, I don't think I ever saw one in the bathroom but I could be mistaken. The theme here is guns and lots of them filled the house, when I was real small I can remember one of my cousins saying "Goose (yucky nickname never to be repeated), don't touch that unless you want to end up like that deer out there" pointing to the buck on the back porch dripping blood and tongue hanging out. That was all I needed to know GUNS+ME= DEATH.
   Even as a small child I knew what death was it was never hidden from me, a deer could be in the field one second and hanging from the same tree as my tire swing the next. A squirrel could be jumping from tree to tree and then be on the squirrel rock with little more than a thank you and  a pop. The idea that that could be me never running through the field or climbing a tree was not lost on me.
   We used guns as tools, to feed us, to protect us, and when necessary to provide an easy death to a hurt animal. The children were taught what they could do and to be respectful of the ease in which your life could be no more, am I saying no child in my area was accidentally killed by a gun no, but not one in my family or one that I knew. 
 Guns have always been tools for generations not just in my family but every where. The truth is no our founding fathers could have never known we would make guns that can hold more ammo than they saw in a year but they probably wouldn't have cared in my opinion. They also would have never let things get to where they have in the US either. We used to care about each other in ways we no longer do where we may have wanted guns to feel safe we still didn't feel the need to lock our doors.
  I also think where does it end? If the government tells us what guns we should and shouldn't have and how to protect our families then why cant it tell us what a family is? Why cant it tell me what religion I should have, car I should drive, places I should go, or  how to raise my children? From big to small if we let our government take away our rights to choose one thing then why is it not ok for them to choose other things for us. We cant have it both ways we say its ok for someone else to  tell me what to do, what is right, what is safe or not.
  I know my thoughts are different from a lot of yours and I am ok with that, differences make the world a better place. Also before anyone thinks that I just don't know the pain that can be caused by misusing a gun, my husband's mother was shot when he was small and he lives with that loss and pain everyday.
  Thanks for reading. Blessings, MoonFlower

2 comments:

  1. Very well said!
    I think that one of the problems with the "gun debate" is that so many people no longer know how to use guns as tools. Their meat comes from the store in nice, neat little packages, so they no longer need to hunt for themselves. If they need to defend themselves, they'll just call the police... right?
    People fear what they don't understand... and somewhere along the line they have lost the ability to understand the purpose of a gun.

    Now you've got me wondering if there were guns in *my* bathroom during hunting season... LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings Lovely!
    I have nominated you for the Witchy Blog Award! http://ayslynscorner.wordpress.com/witchy-blog-award/
    Blessings to you and your lovely family xx

    ReplyDelete